Today water scarcity is a big issue. In one city, water is wasted like food in the eat it or wear it challenges. In another city, water is the most valuable resource. Privileged people have a choice of whether to keep the tap running or to consciously switch it off when not in use. Unfortunately, that is not the case in third-world countries. About 780 million people-11 percent of the world’s population- do not receive drinking water. They are facing the problem of water scarcity Why? Because there isn’t any. Only 3 percent of the water is fresh, out of which only 0.5 percent is available to us. Managing to make the impossible also possible, we are running out of water-a renewable source.
Trees and ecosystem:
Deforestation and global warming aren’t helping either. Trees are a crucial part of the ecosystem because they transport water from the ground and emit it into the atmosphere. Through the process of condensation, rain falls to continue the water cycle. Transpiration (the process of emitting water vapor in the atmosphere) helps in cooling down the atmosphere. All these processes are crucial for the well-being of the planet’s health. If there is no rain, there are no trees, which means no oxygen. All these mal-factors compiled together are demolishing the five major elements: fire, water, earth, wind, and space. If we need to rebuild the Earth and stop water scarcity we need to stop interfering with the Earth’s basic elements and chemicals. Mixing chemicals can not only create adverse problems but also affects humans indirectly which can lead to mass extinctions for many beings.
People in cities, like Chennai and Mexico city, are using groundwater. Groundwater is useful in emergencies. They are “literally sinking”. Cities like Bengaluru don’t even have enough water to survive, leading to the problem of water scarcity during the summer months. Within a couple of years, first-world countries will also start experiencing water shortages “their freshwater supply reduced by as much as a third”. According to recent research, the world is covered with 75 percent water. Out of which, 97.2 percent is salty water from the oceans. The remaining 2.8 percent is divided into two categories: 2.15 percent is locked in glaciers and 0.62 percent is groundwater.
Due to global warming, the water locked in the glaciers is rising sea levels which is causing many disasters: tsunamis in Florida, hurricanes in Australia, floods in Karnataka, and many more. Not only humans but animals, as well as the natural process of Earth, are facing the issues of water scarcity. Polluted water sites will make it harder for marine creatures to survive and land animals to consume the water. The sewer systems connected to our homes lead to the large water bodies and dump about “80 percent of untreated wastewater”, which together collects “eight million metric tons of waste in the oceans each year”.
Many sea creatures like the krill, coral, sharks, whales, penguins are heading toward extinction. We’ve only been warned of the crisis a million times through various means – most recently through the award-winning Netflix show ‘Seaspiracy’ among other sources. The mass extinction of creatures will gradually haunt us. Many background details aren’t even exposed to the normal population. Surprisingly, most of the population is unaware of these facts, so let’s create awareness and find solutions to help our planet. Together, we can decide to change this harsh reality into a safe future. Let’s decide to be eco-conscious, and find creative solutions to make our planet a better place.
How to avoid water scarcity:
Planting trees, saving water, recycling, upcycling clothes, and many more are just a few we need to incorporate into our daily lives. Let’s use science to our benefit and make technologies that work with renewable sources. We, the next generation, need to create efficient irrigation systems, structured filtration machines, and effective recycling systems. We need to understand that we are à co-existing ecosystem, where all beings depend on each other for their survival. If one falls, all fall. So let’s pick ourselves up again. And let’s secure the future for the various species and the coming generations. Just remember, we can if we try.